Out of status

Home » Resources » Terminologies » Out of Status

Out of Status needs your immediate action – rectification or departure

Out of status means you have no legal status in Canada. It needs your immediate action, either find proper way to rectify the situation or would be removed from the country, voluntarily or be forced to.

Everyone should have a legal status while in Canada. You may be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, temporary resident or protected person. If you overstay your authorized period of time, to be removed from the Canada or have inadmissibility issue, you may be lost your legal status in the country, which is called “out of status“.

Out of status

Restoration and Removal Orders

For those out of status due to overstay the authorized period of time, if you lost your status less than 90 days, you may be eligible to restore your status through an in Canada application, subject to you admit your wrong doing and have a forgivable excuse together with a solid reason to continue stay in Canada.

Ignoring your out of status, will lead to a removal order be issued against you. There are three type of removal orders.

Departure order, you must must leave Canada within 30 days after the order takes effect. You must also confirm your departure with the CBSA at your port of exit. If you leave Canada and follow these procedures, you may return to Canada in the future provided you meet the entry requirements at that time.

Exclusion Order, you cannot return to Canada for one year. If you do wish to return before the 12 months have passed, you must apply for an ARC.

Deportation Order, you are permanently barred from returning to Canada and cannot return unless you apply for an ARC.If the CBSA paid for your removal from Canada, you must also repay that cost before you are eligible to return.

Vancouver 1-604-670-0918
Kelowna 1-250-899-6868



2F, 1789 Harvey Ave,
Kelowna, BC V1Y 6G4

Overseas Office:
Unit 1404, Chun Hui Mansion,
18 Yue Ken Road,
Guangzhou, P.R.China