Federal Skilled Trade

Home » Immigration Services » Skilled Workers » Federal Skilled Trade
skilled trade

1. Federal Skilled Trade qualification

IRCC invite those in the Express Entry applicant to apply through trade stream just a few times per year, where federal skilled worker draws more frequently.   

Work Experience

Minimum 2 years of full-time or equivalent part-time accumulated work experience in the trade within the 5 years before the permanent resident application.

Job Offer or Certificate

A valid job offer of full time employment for at least 1 year is required OR alternatively, a certificate of qualification in the trade issued by a Canadian provincial or federal authority.

Occupations list

Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

– Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades

– Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades

– Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production

– Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators

– Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks

– Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

2. Education requirement

There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But you can improve your rank in the Express Entry pool if you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian or equivalent foreign secondary (high school) or post-secondary school.

3. Language requirements

Meet the minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 for reading and writing

Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Once you are in the pool, you will compete with other applicants with a CRS score (Comprehensive Ranking System). There are ways to improve your chances of success, talk to an immigration lawyer or RCIC (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant) for tips. And don’t forget, Federal skill trades is just one stream of many for foreign workers to become permanent residents, explore Skilled Workers for other avenues.

Rural Northern Immigration Pilot is a new effort IRCC leverages its policy power to boost economy of remoted communities. There are 11 communities be selected for this pilot trial.

Vancouver 1-604-670-0918
Kelowna 1-250-899-6868



2F, 1789 Harvey Ave,
Kelowna, BC V1Y 6G4

Overseas Office:
Unit 1404, Chun Hui Mansion,
18 Yue Ken Road,
Guangzhou, P.R.China