NLAi immigration services home picture

Kelowna Immigration Services at NLAi

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

As Kelowna based immigration consultant, we understand that relocating to a foreign country is an extraordinarily brave journey. To re-immerse & establish yourself in a new setting is all consuming and requires your time and full strength. Although there will be technicalities and potential pitfalls throughout the immigration process, NLAi immigration services can help remove the barriers.  Along your path of Canadian immigration, we help you stay focus on your ultimate goal of success.

We, immigration consultants in Kelowna practice Canada immigration law on a daily base. Our immigration services help you step over the hurdles.

Need an advice?

Book for a consultation!

About N. Luo & Associates

N. Luo & Associates Immigration Services (NLAi immigration services), a Kelowna immigration consultant firm helps clients come to Canada as a temporary resident or becoming a permanent resident, headquarters in Kelowna, BC Canada and outreaches to the America and Asia Pacific regions.

Founder Norman Luo has over 25+ years services experience. He graduated in Ashton College, is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), good standing member of CICC (College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants), CAPIC active member (Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultant) and is appointed Commissioner of Taking Affidavits for BC.

On July 14, 2022, NLAi was accredited as RCIC-IRB, an upgraded class L3 CICC license. NLAi became one of the very first RCIC be honored this ultimate class license with unrestricted practice capability on Canada immigration. It is a solid recognition, result of years of ethical and high standard professional practice.

NLAi immigration services associates a group of energetic professionals with high standard of ethics and commitment to customers, focus servicing sponsored family members, international students, skilled workers and entrepreneur investors.

Temporary resident

Foreign nationals coming to Canada legally for only a period of time are temporary residents. The purpose of their stay could be to study, to work, to do business, visit friends or simply tour around for sightseeing.

For citizen from visa exempted countries, they apply online an eTA to come to Canada. Citizens from visa required countries have to apply a TRV (temporary resident visa) before they travel. At the border, the CBSA (Canada Boarder Security Agency) officer will re-examine your purpose of visit, they have discretion power to refuse you entering Canada if something suspicious.

Once you get in, you become a temporary resident. The permit defines your immigration status, such as a student, a worker or just a visitor. Canada government has right to verify your purpose of staying, if they find you are contradicting your original purpose, you will face from voluntarily leave to forceful removal order. Do not panic if that happens to you, go to an Immigration Lawyer or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and find ways of remedy or improve the consequence. Both visa and permit may apply in or outside of Canada.

Permanent Resident

There are many streams available where a foreign national could apply through to become a permanent resident of Canada (PR). Economic class or non-economic class are two main categories.

Economic class, as it’s named, applicant must bring in the country certain economic benefits. It could be human capital (skill sets) or financial capital. Federal skilled worker, Federal skilled trade, caregiver, Canadian Experience, Provincial Nominee, entrepreneur investor, Canadian interest, international graduate etc, are most frequently quoted in economic class immigration.

On the other hand, the non-economic streams are based on your ties to Canada or what you have been gone through. Available streams include sponsored family members, refugee claimants, humanitarian and compassionate consideration applicants and temporary resident permit holders.

There is no simple application. Different individual has his/her unique merits or hurdles need to be utilized or addressed. The processing time depends on how well prepared the submission is and how efficient the back and forth correspondences with IRCC will be. It’s wise to talk to an immigration lawyer or an Immigration Consultant.

kelowna immigration consultant - new

13 more countries now qualify for an electronic travel authorization

June 6, 2023, IRCC announced that travellers from 13 countries who have either held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years or who currently hold a valid US visa can now apply for an eTA instead of a visa to Canada by air. These countries includes: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentia, Costa Rica, Morocco, Panama, Philippines, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vncent and the Grendaines, Seychelles, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, and Uruguay.

Temporary policy of visitors can apply work permit in Canada extended to 2025-02-28

For those in Canada with valid visitor status, who have a job offer that is supported by a LMIA, they are allow to apply for an employer-specific work permit no later than Feb. 25, 2025.


kelowna immigration consultant - update

BC welcomes entrepreneur investor (regional pilot) Update

The BCPNP’s Regional Pilot of Entrepreneur Immigration is now extended to March 31, 2024. The enrolled communities play a key role. Each has identified the kinds of business that are a priority for their community.

Designated for entrepreneur investor who propose $100,000 investment to establish and actively manage new business in the enrolled community would be referred as prospective applicants to the BCPNP. More detail of please contact NLAi immigration services.


Bill C35 – Misrepresentation & Authorized Representative

There are many challenges along the road of Canada immigration. Perhaps, the first one in your mind is to whom should/could I seek help from? In Canada, Bill C-35 clearly defines who can provide advice or immigration services for a fee. They are called “Authorized Representatives”.

Misrepresentation includes providing untruthful, misleading information. Hiring a person without proper designation may fall into the trap of “misrepresentation”. Consequences include your application will get refused plus you will be banned for 5 years from entering Canada. An “unauthorized representative” or “ghost consultant” will face $50,000 to $100,000 and/or imprisonment for up to six months on summary conviction.

There are two major designated groups of professionals in this field whom can render paid immigration services: Immigration Attorney or Immigration Lawyer and Immigration Consultant (“RCIC” for short).

Work permit, work permit exempted

Work permit is a legal document allows foreign national to work legally in Canada. Most of the work permit must be applied outside of Canada and must have positive LMIA as prerequisite, some work permits are LMIA exempted. And there are some foreign nationals can work legally in Canada even without the need to apply a work permit. Just to name a few of them to help you get an idea: for example full time post-secondary international students, religious workers, foreign government representative and their family, crew member engaged in international transportation, temporary performing artists, journalists, etc. The interpretation of such roles may vary in different contexts. It is safe to seek advice from an Immigration Lawyer or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant to avoid misunderstanding.

LMIA & LMIA exempted

LMIA short for Labour Market Impact Assessment is a standard approach Canada government trying to protect Canadian workers. As a normal procedure, if you want to hire a foreign skilled worker, you have to apply a LMIA, the process time vary from weeks to months, Service Canada takes in a lot of pressure on its lengthy and unclear processing since its inception. While employer struggle between the talent recruitment and needed LMIA process, there are certain LMIA exempted foreigner skilled worker hiring. Canada has treaty with a few economic regions, e.g. USA, EU and other developed countries, you may hire foreigner without the overhead of applying LMIA. Find an Immigration Lawyer or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant for more in depth information.

kelowna immigration consultant - hot

Open work permit for Spouse or CLP in Canada

As an extended pilot program, applicants in the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class are eligible for an open work permit while waiting the result of their application, and it is LMIA exempted.

For other non-SCLPC spouse or common-law partner, they can apply work permit for a specific employer with LMIA support. They may apply open work permit without LMIA but attach to the existing permits of their partner. For example, spouse or common-law partner of full time student under study permit, or of worker under work permit can apply open work permit, no LMIA. These open work permits are normally issued on condition upon their partner’s study permit or work permit.

International student PGWP

shorts for Post-Graduation Work Permit allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience which qualify the student for permanent residence through the Canadian experience class. Employers seeking to employ open work permit holders are exempt from the requirement to first obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada.

A PGWP work permit may be issued for the length of the study program, maximum of 3 years. And it  cannot be valid for longer than the student’s passport validity, so renew your passport if it is about to expire before you submit your PGWP application.

Extend staying in Canada

To maintain valid legal status is sole responsibility of any visitor on temporary resident visa in Canada. Many clients understand there is a limit of time when visiting family or friend in Canada. If there is no specific stamp or CBSA officer writing states otherwise, you are allowed to stay in Canada for 6 months. At the end of your authorized stay in Canada, besides leaving the country, you have another option is to extend you’re the length of your stay by filing a VR (Visitor Record) application. Of course, you need to provide reason of prolonging the stay and justify other requirements. An Authorized Representative should be able to help you.

Overcome inadmissibility

Canada government cares about whether a temporary resident may post threat to Canada on ground of health, serious criminality or security threat etc. So some foreign national are declared inadmissible to Canada after CBSA examine his or her situation. The only remedy in scenario like this is to apply TRP (Temporary Resident Permit). You are required to provide compelling reason and evidence that your visiting Canada won’t post any threat to the country or reasons of coming is weight much more than the potential harm might bring. Humanitarian and Compassionate factors kick in. This would be a time you need to consult an Immigration lawyer or RCIC.